The 40 Hour Famine officially kicks off Friday 10th June at 8pm
Thanks to every one taking up a challenge and fundraising to help change the lives of children like Sara (pictured) who have been affected by the refugee crisis. You are doing an amazing thing!
There’s plenty going on this weekend and it’s an awesome opportunity to get out and get those last minute donations! There are plenty of fundraising tips in the resources section of our website if you’re looking to reach or beat your target. Every dollar counts!
Here’s just a few of the things that are happening around the country! Don't forget to share your 40 Hour Famine pics on our social channels.
Let there be light!
Head to your nearest city centre and check out the landmarks that will be bathed in orange to celebrate your hard work!
- Auckland’s Sky Tower
- Wellington’s Michael Fowler Centre
- Christchurch Airport’s terminal and tower
- The Dunedin Centre, Toitu Settlers Museum and Otago Museum
Stream us live: We’ll be running several Facebook Live events over the weekend and while you’re at it, keep up with the action on Instagram
On Snapchat? Our celebrity ambassadors have taken over our Snapchat for the weekend! Follow the fun by adding worldvisionnz
Are you into Minecraft? Join the fun with our Youth Ambassador Jay who will be streaming live as together we build an entire refugee city in Minecraft over the 40 Hour Famine weekend! Jay was inspired by his visit to Jordan earlier in the year to see our work with refugee children. There are plenty of prizes to be won!
Tune into What Now on TV2 on Sunday morning with Bianca, Chris and Ronnie! Keep your eyes peeled for our Shortland Street stars Jayden and Grace, TV presenters Adam and Eve, and Kimberley Crossman, who will be in studio with 40 lucky 40 Hour Famine participants!
Like comics? Have you read the amazing story of Hussam? Incredible New Zealand cartoonist Toby Morris helped us to tell Hussam’s story through this powerful comic.
In Christchurch? Keep an eye out for Adam and Eve from The Adam and Eve Show as they head around the city in their food truck selling potatoes! Just make sure to steer clear if you’re doing the traditional no food challenge! You don’t want to be tempted!
Go the All Blacks! Say hi to our volunteers collecting your notes and coins around Eden Park stadium in Auckland before the match on Saturday!
It's not a competition but... check out who's leading the pack on our leaderboard!
Thank you. Whether you’re...
- taking up the One Weekend One Backpack Challenge like Marty and Steph from the Edge,
- walking 40 kilometres like Olivia and her friends from Palmerston North High School,
- holding a sleepover like Oxford Area School,
- talking on-air for 40 Hours at the Christchurch Broadcasting School like Daniel,
- holding a talent quest like Elim Christian College,
- spending 40 Hours in Queenstown Mall in a cage like Whakatipu High School,
- celebrating three decades of 40 Hour Famine at Birkdale Intermediate,
- sleeping out in Christchurch’s Cathedral Square like Josiah,
- going without food like 75-year-old Margaret and her ‘Famine fighters’ in Marton,
- creating a refugee experience like Bohally Intermediate in Blenheim,
your efforts are appreciated!
The funds you raise will make an incredible difference to the lives of refugee children, children who have been affected by this conflict through no fault of their own.
Thanks again to everyone taking up a challenge and fundraising to support refugee children, we couldn’t do our work without you.