Claiming a tax credit

Did you know you can claim tax credits for your donations to charities?

Yes, that's right! You can claim one-third – 33.33% to be precise – of your generous donations back as a tax credit. All you need is your annual Tax Certificate. Tax credits can be claimed on the last four years of charitable giving. You just need your Tax Certificates or donation receipts. So if you haven’t done it for previous years, it’s not too late. You can even use your rebate to give again and increase your impact.

We don’t want you to miss out!

We don’t want you to miss out!

Kiwis like you are so compassionate. We know that a tax credit has the potential to make a big difference in your life, and in the lives of others. But many kind donors don’t know why we send them an annual Tax Certificate.

The New Zealand tax system encourages charitable giving by offering you tax benefits. With your annual Tax Certificate, you can claim tax credits on one-third of your donations to World Vision, and other approved organisations.

You just need to have made a donation of $5 or more, earned taxable income, been a resident of New Zealand at any time in that tax year, and an individual (not a company, trust or partnership).

A few small steps to claim your tax credit!


You need official receipts to show you've made a donation of $5 or more to approved donee organisations; such as registered charities and schools. See IRD website for more details


Use your My IR account to claim or download the IR526 form here. It's easy, you don't have to do any calculations. The IRD will take care of that.


Well done! The IRD will send you notification of your refund amount within six weeks. Thank you for your amazing generosity.



How can I donate my tax credit back to World Vision?
It's easy! Once you've received your tax credit, call our friendly Supporter Care team on 0800 800 776 or email us at We'll help you donate your tax credit back to World Vision. Thank you for using your rebate to increase your impact and share your love with even more children and families in the world's toughest places.

More Tax Certificate FAQs


My partner and I have a tax certificate in both our names. Do we need separate tax certificates?
No, you don't need separate certificates if you're sharing a tax certificate with your partner. You just need to complete another tax credit claim form, and attach a note explaining that you're sharing certificates. Remember to provide your partner's name and IRD number. You can find more details on how to make a claim on the IRD website here.

Information on this page was sourced from on 21/03/2023.

Make a real and lasting change in the lives of the world's most vulnerable children and their families